Thursday, April 15, 2010

Africa for the weekend

Here's a special entry that I wrote during my Morocco trip: (from 4-10-10)

Bienvenidos a Africa!
Well, I'm officially in Africa...a whole nother continent for me! After an unpleasant and long fairy ride, spending the night in a 4-star hotel and lots of delicious Moroccan food, I am now on my way to Tangier, Morocco where we will be riding camels and doing some more shopping!
This trip has been great so far. Everyone except a couple from Argentina and an American boy is a girl so that has made it so much easier to make friends. I think everyone one of these girls who is studying here goes to the Univ. of Sevilla [or so I thought] so I may not see them again, but that's okay. It was definitely a good choice for me to go on this trip with We Love Spain. Everything is included, planned and fun. The Moroccan people are so nice too--the tour guide, Mohammad and all the shop-keepers. I was very surprised by just how friendly they are for some reason. I definitely thought that some of them would be unbearably pushy, but they aren't. Ideally they want you to buy things from them, but they are not offended if you just want to look. That was just what I experienced in the first marketplace that we visited...the more open ones may have pushier people.

However, as we made our way to the restaurant where we had lunch, these two guys followed us all of the way there. They were rather annoying, but a couple girls got some good deals off them. The food we had at the restaurant was top-notch. A spice-filled soup with bread was the first course; rice with tuna, cucumbers, tomatoes and onions, carrots and potato salad were 2nd and the main course was couscous with beef and steamed vegetables on top. For dessert, we had these hard cookie/muffin things with sesame seeds on top and tea that reminded me of the apple tea that Nathan had at the Pasha Grill. It was so good! It all had no salt, too!

I can't believe that bland things now make me happy. haha [to an extent, of course] Well, that's all I can write for now. We just made it to Tangier and are going to ride the camels! After that, we'll be going to the place where the Atlantic meets the Mediterranean and then the Caves of Hercules--whatever those might be. And at the end of the day, we will be at our 2nd hotel (which I've heard is not that great---but the people who told me that were wrong!). I really need to charge my camera, but I'm just going to have to make do...and hopefully learn from now on to charge it each day (before and after) when I go on trips like this. As far as I know, I may not be back here again. I'm definitely going to remember Morocco, but people at home want to see some sweet pics (and so do I) so I have to get some. We'll see what Tangier holds though.

Ciao for now!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment