Sunday, February 21, 2010

Christians are everywhere!

So tonight my friend Colleen invited me to this contemporary Spanish church called "Encounter" that she went to last week. It was way far away from the neighborhood I live in but I can't tell you how worth the trek and the time I spent at the service was!!! Going to this church service was just what I needed today. I have been desperate for fellowship and God's presence lately. It's good that I can listen to the podcasts from my church back in Florida on Sunday mornings but actually being with other believers physically makes a big difference! I felt really welcome and comfortable almost right away.
For one thing, this church could have been my church, "MissionWay" in Ponte Vedra, Florida...except just in a different building, at night, different people and, well, in Spanish. :) The similarities? A very laid-back, casual atmosphere, compelling worship, Hillsong songs (popular ones we sing in the U.S. just in Spanish), a pretty cool violinist and a church that has a heart for missions. And a missionary who lives in Cordoba (a well-known city about an 1 hr. southeast of Sevilla) but does mission work in Morocco spoke tonight. I had no idea that there was such a need for missionaries and volunteers in Morocco, so it was cool to hear what God is doing there and what they are believing He will do in the future. How did I get so lucky that the first church I visited seems like a good fit? That was definitely a God-thing I stumbled upon today. :)
I hope to go back next Sunday and talk to more of the members as I wasn't able to stay that long after the service.
The coolest thing was that I met other students like me who are studying here and looking for a church too. I actually saw half of the people I met tonight on the different buses I took to Ronda yesterday...but little did I know that they were believers! That was so encouraging to me. It just goes to show you that there are Christians everywhere you go, no matter what part of the world you're in! I hope that this will be the start of some fun and possibly lifetime friendships. :)

Oh, and I have officially been here for a month as of 6 p.m. (approx) Spain time today! Here's to many more wonderful days in this gorgeous country!

No comments:

Post a Comment