Monday, February 22, 2010

Spanish norms

Here's a list of commonly practiced customs, habits and Spanish sayings:

1. The siesta is observed religiously....places will shut down between 2 and 2:30 every day and sometimes not open back up until 5pm (1700)! Also kids get let out from school early to go home for lunch and the siesta. Aren't they lucky!

2. Spanish people know where they are going and don't like to be cut in front of or slowed down--so that means pick the side of the street, hallway, classroom, etc. you'll be on and stick to it! My first full day being here I was walking down the street and didn't know which side I should choose to pass this one guy and I hesitated so much that he said, "Quieres baliar?" "You wanna dance?" hahaha :)

3. There is no hot water in any sink in the entire country of Spain (at least I'm convinced of this)! Maybe the palace where the royal family lives, but not anywhere else I've been.

4. It's perfectly okay to be OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD in the hallways when classes are going on or when someone's clearly studying on a bench inside. I mean, Spain's all about socializing...right?

5. Food is the most important thing in your life and chocolate is better than sex--according to my very wise señora!!!

6. Your shoes, coat, bag and scarf all MUST match or you have to wear an outfit with matching colors...next to food, fashion is the other most important thing in the lives of Spaniards.

7. How you use utilities (water and electricity) and time reflect your character. There is no such thing as a long shower here and lights must always be turned off when not in use. This thing in particular has really opened my eyes to how wasteful and forgetful Americans are (myself included)...Time has definitely been a big issue for me since I am trying to get a routine down but still stay in touch with people and the culture at the same time. And if you're wondering....yes, I've been late to dinner two times and have gotten yelled at for it! NEVER AGAIN is the advice I have taken to heart.

8. Comparable sayings:
Hasta luego ('ta luego) = adiós
Hasta mañana = buenas noches
Fijate! = Lit. : You see! (in some contexts: Don't miss this!)
Hombre = Uh, huh or Duh...especially when used with claro, i.e. : Hombre, claro!
Vale = Okay (used A LOT...sometimes after every word)

9. Olive oil actually comes from Spain, but is manufactured and shipped in Italy cause it's cheaper...talk about a falso amigo there! I had NO IDEA either! haha But olives and olive oil are HUGE here and aceite de oliva is used in nearly everything...my friend Ashely even told me she saw the Spanish food group pyramid and they have a little section just for olive oil. All you need is at least one serving a day! haha :)

10. You can drink beer at 10 in the morning and not be judged for doing it!

11. Spain (and possibly Europe) is IN LOVE with purple....I see it everywhere and wish I could have everything I see! It's my absolute favorite color...teal is a very close second though. ;)

12. Spanish men have lots of confidence in themselves and their abilities to woo women...you either get asked to "spend the night" at their house or you get proposed to! There's also no, "We should go out some time in the future" kind of thing. It's more like, "Okay, I'll call you tonight and we'll go to [this tapas bar] at 10pm and then to [this club] at 12:30 for awhile and then I'll walk you home and we'll talk about tomorrow's plans." In other words, they move FAST! All you American guys out there: TAKE NOTE OF THIS! Girls actually don't mind you being a little more proactive but please know where you should draw the line. :)

Pues, estoy muy cansada...entonces mas costumbres por la mañana. 'Ta luego, mis amigos! :)

**Mas**

13. Aluminum foil is the new plastic wrap! All of my sandwiches are wrapped in it but they basically use it for everything!!

14. If you whip out a laptop anywhere at my school or at any place that has free Wifi (Weefee), you get stared at by everyone and then they whisper about you after they walk by...how inconsiderate right? I do bring my netbook to school sometimes because I have things I need to work on, but I'm so glad I have Internet at home now--so I don't get stared in public places anymore!

15. Greet everyone you meet or know with two fake kisses on the cheeks. Be warned that you may get real ones by certain people if you're lucky! ;)

16. Birthdays are a big deal here. People will still sing to you in the halls or classrooms even in college! And if you're lucky enough to celebrate your birthday in Spain, your señora will make a special tort or flan just for you!

17. Spanish women are in love with Pierce Brosnan. Yeah, I thought his popularity phase was gone too. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment