Friday, February 19, 2010

New York....where it all began!

A few of you knew that before I left for Spain I had this crazy long layover in Newark, NJ/New York. But what you don't know is how my trip into NYC went...so let me share what I saw and thought of the city!

First of all, let me back up and explain just how big of a deal visiting New York City is for me. Pretty much the only person who understands what New York means to me is my mom because we have talked about it a lot when I was a teen. I first heard about how big and famous it was when I was 8 or 9 and since then I have been learning all that I could about NYC. In 8th grade, I went through this New York phase and was even planning on going to college somewhere in the city. I would read guidebooks, web pages on the Internet and even write stories about living there and meeting people. I even had dreams that, I swear, were so real that it was like I was physically there. And, without fail, every time I saw the skyline, I could barely breathe because just looking at its magnificent skyline captivated me. I can't exactly explain what is was in particular, but just that it did something to me.
My family was never able to take a trip to the city due to how expensive it is and our schedules and interests. And besides, my dad doesn't like big cities anymore so he would have never suggested we visit it all together anyway. But I still kept hope alive that one day I would get to visit it. I even said that I wanted to see it alone because it meant so much to me...and what do you know I did! I def want to go back and have my mom or friends see the sights through my eyes, though. :)
However, I knew my time was coming when instead of buying a 365 Kitten-a-day calendar for 2009 I bought a New York calendar. Month after month I got to see one gorgeous sight after another and I just became even more obsessed with going to the city. I even had a dream over the summer that still sticks in my mind about traveling to NYC. My brother and I were hiking up this weird hilly mountain in robes and towels (lol) and we were so exhausted and just wanted to reach the top. When we finally did, we were rewarded with an out-of-this-world view of the island of Manhattan and it was awesome. I remember thinking, "Yes, the wait WAS worth it!"
And you know what? It really was. Not only was I on my way to Spain a month ago tomorrow, but I was on my way to New York City too! Thinking back on just this past month, I can't believe that I safely navigated my way around not one but TWO of the most famous cities in the world--NYC and Madrid. Crazyyy!
So how did I make it to the city? Well, I did more research over my long Christmas break and decided that the best and quickest way into the city was through Air Train via the NJ Transit. It was 15 dollars each way but it was definitely the best $30 I've ever spent on transportation. I was able to get to Penn Station in NY from the Newark Int'l Airport in approx 33 mins! (since there is a rail that connects the airport to the city--which was only 10 miles away!) The train itself was a little scary, but it was the most efficient way to get in and out of the city. And it was also my first time on a train so that was exciting!
I can't tell you how much I loved being in the city. Even though this sounds cliche, it was seriously everything I thought it would be and more! And the funny thing is I felt like I fit in...I don't know why that was. I think me and big cities just click and it just further proves that I really am a city girl. :)
New York brought me a lot of joy and it actually helped me recapture some of my childhood wonder from long, long ago. For example, when we were making our descent into the NJ/New York City area, I saw the city and all of its sky scrapers in the distance and honestly, I just started crying a little. I mean I had waited 12 years and finally, finally I was seeing the city of my dreams. But after a couple mins, I noticed a tiny little Statue of Liberty in front of the island and I was like, "Holy crap, it's real!!" I mean of course I'd seen pics of it, but to see it with my own two eyes...well, that was a whole 'nother story!
Oh, and that same mentality continued throughout the first--no, like the whole time I was in NYC--because I had another one of those moments when I exited the train station...and into the city itself. I was a little turned around in Penn Station after I bought a map but I found my way out and exited through the Madison Square Garden and 7th Avenue exit. And then...I was free to walk up the steps and into the city. I was such a tourist at that point. Map in hand and carry-ons on my shoulders I knew that this was a big moment. I even asked myself, "So like, wait...you can just walk out right into the city?!" It was all so foreign to me and I was definitely still in major disbelief that I was even there.
Oh, what a wonderful 5 hours I spent in the city that day. I didn't get to see everything on my list, but what I saw was enough. I can't wait to go back in the summer or some time this year and experience more of it.

And yes, those big lights (and sights) did inspire me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment